Thursday, April 29, 2010

I'm An Official Cake Decorator!

I attended my fourth and final class of Wilton Course 1 Cake Decorating. There seemed to be a buzz of excitement among the students, including myself. It was our final class and we would test what we have learned. We ended up doing a rose cake which is a very good choice for a number of occasions, and I love it!

Cake Info:
    Duncan Hines Double Fudge Cake (would've done from scratch but this was so much easier)
    Chocolate Pudding for filling
    Duncan Hines Cream Cheese Frosting (again, time saver. would've loved homemade...yum)


The cake was sort of falling apart....whoops.

At first I wasn't quite sure what we were going to do, she just told us to start with making 7 roses. We did as we were told. Next, we had to draw two lines on each side of the cake in a certain way, with a few twigs coming off on either side. Then we learned how to make our roses 'pop' and then placed them on the cake. Then we added the extra leaves that were needed.

I couldn't figure out which picture looked better....so you decide and let me know what you think.
Top picture or bottom?

Cake Detail:
     Close-up of what I thought was my best rose
     Side decorations with the rose buds in between


This has to be one of the coolest things I have ever done. I am so proud of what I have done and can't wait to see what I can accomplish. I would like to take the Wilton Fondant classes, that is what got me interested in cake decorating. Whenever I am at Michaels for class I always browse and there are so many cool things to use with fondant!!!

I know.....not this many people get that excited about decorating with fondant. I can't wait to try it out!

So, I took my cake to my moms house along with my fiancee and my sister. This was sort of a late birthday cake....I promised to make her a cake for her birthday on Friday and ran out of time, so I bought one. That definitely wasn't the same. I decided that this cake would be for her since it would be decorated by a true 'professional' and to make up for the lack of time-management on my part.

We were given official certificates at the end of the class proving that we are true Wilton cake decorators! It was so amazing, and I would HIGHLY recommend this program to anyone who has an interest in cake decorating. I will also let you know that if you are on a tight budget, it can be really costly. You have to buy the first Course Kit (not sure what it costs in stores but it ranges from $26 to $28 online. I was given a box set as a gift for Christmas if you were wondering....), all the ingredients for cake, icing (to actually cover the cake), and Wilton Icing (for decorating). Along with that, we had to buy a large coupler, a 6 inch spatula, an 8 inch tapered spatula, some decorators gel, and some extra tips. It was rather costly, but its an investment into something that could become a career for me so I feel it's worth it.

Anyway, I need to go to bed.....goodnight for now internetland.

6 comments:

Carol Anne said...

Congrats on becoming a official cake decorator!! Love the cake! I like the first photo of it. And your roses are so pretty!! Isn't it a wonderful feeling to learn something new? I always get a giddy feeling when I learn something new haha! :)

Kayla said...

Well thank you very much Carol! I'm glad you picked the first picture because that was kind of what I was thinking....and I already put that one on fb lol. The roses are a little difficult to make, but I thought they turned out alright, so thank you for that! I worked hard on them! It is wonderful learning something new, it really makes me feel accomplished. Even completing something new, like the coffee sleeve I made or the gift bow :) BTW, I just started following Seth's blog, and you all are both doing amazing! I think I will also be adding your fb group as well, you all are an inspiration!

♥kayla

rachel said...

haha, yay! it looks so good! the close-up of the roses looks amazing. the bottom picture of your cake looks the best, nice job!

Kayla said...

Thanks Rachel! I've been trying to do a lot of close-ups lately since my camera seems to do those SO well! And thank you for the comment! Glad to know someone's reading this! :)

Ayeisha said...

Wow!
That cake looks great!
Almost too good to eat :]

Ayeisha
x

Kayla said...

thanks Ayeisha!