Saturday, March 26, 2011

Marshmallow Fondant

I first made marshmallow fondant about 3 years ago....when I decided randomly that I wanted to make a fondant cake. I had heard that the fondant you buy out of a box tastes horrible and I really wanted to make something that was edible and people could enjoy it if they wanted. So, I did some research and found marshmallow fondant! It was fairly easy to make and actually kind of fun! It did end up being sticky but it was great! And all it consists of is marshmallow, water, and powdered sugar!

When it came time for my sisters baby shower we decided to make cupcakes.....and of course I volunteered to make about 50 of them!! I thought it would be a great way to practice with cupcakes, frosting them prettily (is that even a word?), and also practice making pretties with marshmallow fondant.....here is what happened......
The melted marshmallows.....very goopy :)

Adding powdered sugar to the melted marshmallows....

After adding the powdered sugar the marshmallow mixture started to thicken up...it looks kind of pretty like this :)


I wanted to make two different colors so I separated the marshmallow fondant into two balls and colored them with food coloring gel

The cutouts of the hearts and flowers.....my husband told me that he thought the flowers looked like stars....what do you think?

Vanilla cupcake with cream cheese frosting and purple flower marshmallow fondant....yum

Chocolate cupcake with cream cheese icing and pink heart marshmallow fondant.....yum again :)

The finished product, too bad I didn't get a picture of them out of the box!

Needless to say, I was - and am - pretty proud of myself for what I accomplished. Unfortunately I didn't get to make either the cupcakes or icing from scratch but I think they turned out well. For me, there is just something extra when things are made from scratch. Also, looking back I think I should have made the icing for the chocolate cupcakes purple but that really wouldn't have made a difference, it just would have been more asthetically pleasing :) Ah, being a perfectionist definitely has its downfalls.

Oh yeah, if you would like to try to make this wonderful fondant yourself, click here. Enjoy!

♥kayla